Maintaining compliance with Western policy documents, best practice guidelines, as well as Federal and Provincial Acts is an important part of keeping yourself, your files and Western's entire network protected from cyber attacks.
There are a number of different tools and services available for devices that are Western owned and operated that assist in keeping them patched and supplied with needed software. Maintaining computing systems through patching and hardening them with appropriate security settings such as robust firewalls are actions that are necessary to be compliant with a number of different policies at Western. For questions about these tools and other available services, contact the WTS Helpdesk (https://wts.uwo.ca/get_help/index.html)
- Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- Microsoft System Center (SCCM)
- Antivirus (https://cybersmart.uwo.ca/for_it_support_providers/procedures_resources/antivirus.html)
Here are some important reference pages for maintaining compliance in all types of interaction with physical and electronic documents, additionally you can find instructions and documentation about running commerce and merchant systems at Western.
- Western's Computing, Technology & Information Resources Policy (https://www.uwo.ca/univsec/pdf/policies_procedures/section1/mapp113.pdf)
- Western's Data Classification & Data Handling Standards
- Bank Card Policies (https://commerce.uwo.ca/codes_of_procedure/index.html)
- PCI Standards (https://commerce.uwo.ca/pdf/PCI_DSS_v3-2-1.pdf)
When handling personally identifiable information (PII) or health information there are a few Federal and Provincial acts that must be followed. Maintaining compliance with these acts is required by law so we strongly recommend being aware and learning how these acts affect what you may be doing in your area of work.
Federal and Provincial Acts:
- The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) (https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-topics/privacy-laws-in-canada/the-personal-information-protection-and-electronic-documents-act-pipeda/)
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90f31)
- Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/04p03)
Published on and maintained in Cascade.